Join NexChange - the professional
network for the financial services
industry - and receive a free one-
year subscription to Forbes
Amazon Plans Massive Expansion With a Second Headquarters
Amazon is arguably the most powerful company in America, disrupting every industry in its path – from books to movies to groceries and more – and so it seems to only make sense that having one headquarters would be deemed insufficient to the e-commerce giant.
Which means the Seattle-based company has announced that it is now searching for a second North American headquarters with plans to invest over $5 billion and employ up to 50,000 employees at this location, as the Wall Street Journal reports.
“We expect HQ2 to be a full equal to our Seattle headquarters,” Jeff Bezos, Amazon founder and CEO, said in a statement. “Amazon HQ2 will bring billions of dollars in up-front and ongoing investments, and tens of thousands of high-paying jobs. We’re excited to find a second home.”
Here are the preferences Amazon has laid out for the new location:
- Metropolitan areas with more than one million people
- A stable and business-friendly environment
- Urban or suburban locations with the potential to attract and retain strong technical talent
- Communities that think big and creatively when considering locations and real estate options
HQ2 could be, but does not have to be:
- An urban or downtown campus
- A similar layout to Amazon’s Seattle campus
- A development-prepped site. We want to encourage states and communities to think creatively for viable real estate options, while not negatively affecting our preferred timeline.
Amazon is seeking proposals by Oct. 19 for the project and will choose the location of HQ2 next year.
Photo: Getty iStock